Himalaya Watch

People, issues. Debates, perspectives. Details, nuances. A crisp view from the top.

Visit the new professional website of Jiwan Kshetry

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Editorial

So much of evil around us, yet the world is full of life and beauty.
The lute player by  Dirck van Baburen, 1622

So much of thorns around, yet the flowers bloom every season.

So much of downpour during the summer, yet the sun shines brightly between the raining spells and does so continuously as soon as it is autumn.

So much of stagnation in life, yet we occasionally flow like a river in the mountainside.

Paradoxes, that instead of being resolved, transform from one another.

That is probably what captures the essence of life. There is nothing uniformly bad or uniformly good, no time uniformly depressing or uniformly blissful, no terrain uniformly barren or uniformly fertile.

What blossoms today will dry up and tumble down tomorrow, that shines today will fade tomorrow. Rust will cover what glitters today.

Darkness after light. Night after day. Death after life.

Yet we are so absorbed in our own cocoons, our own minuscule worlds, that we take them for the whole world, one moment for eternity and one stretch of land for the universe.

How wrong we are.

Over time, I have come to see the grey shades in so many things that I used to see in black and white earlier. But I know there is a very long way to go ahead, in terms of understanding the world and in terms of understanding myself.

When we know little, it is better to be aware of the fact rather than believing that we know everything that is there in the world to know.

Sincerely acknowledging the ignorance within, I am in a journey of what I call a quasi-journalism. I'll have no objection if the quasi- part is removed sometime in future.

This Dashain issue of the blog is dedicated to all those who are aware of their relative ignorance and are on way to educating themselves towards the better understanding of the world, and themselves.

As always, my sincere gratitude to the guest contributors.

Happy reading and writing. Happy Dashain.


No comments:

विजय कुमारको खुशी पढेपछि

जीवन, खुशी अहंकार

जीवनमा अफ्ठ्यारा घुम्तीहरुमा हिंडिरहँदा मैले कुनै क्षणमा पलायनलाई एउटा विकल्पको रुपमा कल्पना गरेको थिएँ, त्यसलाई यथार्थमा बदल्ने आँट गरिनँ, त्यो बेग्लै कुरा हो त्यसबेला लाग्थ्योः मेरा समग्र दुखहरुको कारण मेरो वरपरको वातावरण हो, यसबाट साहसपूर्वक बाहिरिएँ भने नयाँ दुख आउलान् तर तत्क्षणका दुरुह दुखहरु गायब भएर जानेछन् कति गलत थिएँ !


Read more from Dashain Issue

Debating partition of India: culpability and consequences




Read the whole story here

Why I write...

I do not know why I often tend to view people rather grimly: they usually are not as benevolent, well-intentioned and capable or strong as they appear to be. This assumption is founded on my own self-assessment, though I don’t have a clue as to whether it is justifiable to generalize an observation made in one individual. This being the fact, my views of writers as ‘capable’ people are not that encouraging: I tend to see them as people who intend to create really great and world-changing writings but most of the times end up producing parochial pieces. Also, given the fact that the society where we grow and learn is full of dishonesty, treachery, deceit and above else, mundanity, it is rather unrealistic to expect an entirely reinvigorating work of writing from every other person who scribbles words in paper.


On life's challenges

Somebody has said: “I was born intelligent but education ruined me”. I was born a mere child, as everyone is, and grew up as an ordinary teenager eventually landing up in youth and then adulthood. The extent to which formal education helped me to learn about the world may be debatable but it definitely did not ruin me. There were, however, things that nearly ruined me. There came moments when I contemplated some difficult choices. And there came and passed periods when I underwent through an apparently everlasting spell of agony. There came bends in life from which it was very tempting to move straight ahead instead of following the zigzag course.


Read more