Himalaya Watch

People, issues. Debates, perspectives. Details, nuances. A crisp view from the top.

Visit the new professional website of Jiwan Kshetry

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Acknowledgement to New Year Issue: A collective work


2069 was a year of experiments for this blog.
I tried many experiments and some of them were successful. This new year issue is the latest and whether it will be successful is yet to be seen.

My first sincere gratitude is to the readers who have visited this blog over the year. Their number is not that big but their importance is. Between 20 and 50 readers have started taking me seriously, as assessed from the pageview chart. They deserve special thanks.

Then comes the turn of contributors for this issue. Prof. Chaitanya Mishra has been my mentor for long and I had the privilege of attending some of his classes in sociology. It was the first time I interviewed someone face to face, yet the results were more than satisfactory. Avaya Shrestha was the only other established Nepali author who did not decline my offer to provide an article for the issue. His story is a timeless piece and I am grateful to him for this.

Then come two international figures who are known for their analytical acumen and unconventional posture in so many issues. Ramzy Baroud was prompt in letting me to re-publish his article about Rachel Corrie. His expertise on issues related to Middle East will immensely help the readers in Nepal and South Asia. Jeremy R Hammond at Foreign Policy Journal is the only editor so far who has taken the pain of helping me to make my manuscripts publishable rather than dumping them straight away, a standard practice among established media houses. He has contributed both an article and an interview for this issue. I look forward to an extended audience for both of   these authors and others in alternative media community in South Asia.

Then comes the upcoming young blogger Subhas Lamichhane who has consistently interacted with me over the year and is one of the top commenters of my blog. His writing and his blog have also a bright future.

At the last moment, Aqeel Abbas from Pakistan, facebook friend of mine for more than a year, confirmed the submission and his post is also on the offing.

Then comes the crucial support of my friends. Galav Adhikari, an avid storyteller now in Lebanon, has promised his story for the next issue because he could not do so because of technical glitches this time around. Surendra Basnet and Devi Prasad Tiwari also missed the deadline this time but will hopefully contribute in future. LB Chhetri sir from Bharatpur and my friend Bishnu Rath Giri also tried their best to provide their pieces but somehow it could not be done within the deadline. I hope they will contribute in future. My friend Arjun Acharya meanwhile helped me technically and deserves gratitude.

Finally, Indra Dhoj Kshetri, my elder brother and intimate friend, has been the source of great support and help. He has also contributed to this issue and assisted me in the interview with Prof.Chaitanya Mishra. Cover designing was done by my younger brother Keshav and his technical support was also crucial in getting through the process.

And before closing this, I cannot forget some people in journalism who have inspired me. Vinod Mehta's autobiography 'Lucknow Boy' was one seminal work that somehow convinced me it was possible to be in journalism in a way different from others. The other inspiring figure is the renowned Indian investigative journalist Tarun Tejpal whose journalism is a source of constant envy for me.

Last but not the least, my sincere gratitude to a thinker, someone with greatest repute I have ever conversed, who patiently replied to my questions but wished to remain anonymous for personal reasons. 

No comments:

विजय कुमारको खुशी पढेपछि

जीवन, खुशी अहंकार

जीवनमा अफ्ठ्यारा घुम्तीहरुमा हिंडिरहँदा मैले कुनै क्षणमा पलायनलाई एउटा विकल्पको रुपमा कल्पना गरेको थिएँ, त्यसलाई यथार्थमा बदल्ने आँट गरिनँ, त्यो बेग्लै कुरा हो त्यसबेला लाग्थ्योः मेरा समग्र दुखहरुको कारण मेरो वरपरको वातावरण हो, यसबाट साहसपूर्वक बाहिरिएँ भने नयाँ दुख आउलान् तर तत्क्षणका दुरुह दुखहरु गायब भएर जानेछन् कति गलत थिएँ !


Read more from Dashain Issue

Debating partition of India: culpability and consequences




Read the whole story here

Why I write...

I do not know why I often tend to view people rather grimly: they usually are not as benevolent, well-intentioned and capable or strong as they appear to be. This assumption is founded on my own self-assessment, though I don’t have a clue as to whether it is justifiable to generalize an observation made in one individual. This being the fact, my views of writers as ‘capable’ people are not that encouraging: I tend to see them as people who intend to create really great and world-changing writings but most of the times end up producing parochial pieces. Also, given the fact that the society where we grow and learn is full of dishonesty, treachery, deceit and above else, mundanity, it is rather unrealistic to expect an entirely reinvigorating work of writing from every other person who scribbles words in paper.


On life's challenges

Somebody has said: “I was born intelligent but education ruined me”. I was born a mere child, as everyone is, and grew up as an ordinary teenager eventually landing up in youth and then adulthood. The extent to which formal education helped me to learn about the world may be debatable but it definitely did not ruin me. There were, however, things that nearly ruined me. There came moments when I contemplated some difficult choices. And there came and passed periods when I underwent through an apparently everlasting spell of agony. There came bends in life from which it was very tempting to move straight ahead instead of following the zigzag course.


Read more